24Hr Blood Pressure Monitoring
By measuring your blood pressure at regular intervals over 24 hours, you will get a clearer picture of how your blood pressure changes throughout the day. It is a more accurate reading of your blood pressure across 24 hours (day and night), instead of a single snapshot at a particular point in the day.
Our staff at Your Local Pharmacy (available at our Ballyfermot Branch) will fit you with a blood pressure monitoring device to wear for 24 hours, including while you sleep. You can still carry on with most of your day-to-day activities while wearing the device and it is unlikely to wake you while you sleep. Each time a reading is taken during the day, you will need to fill in a diary with what you were doing.
After 24 hours you will return to your pharmacy where a member of the pharmacy team will remove the monitor and cuff and download your results. The results will show a graph illustrating your blood pressure during the 24 hour period. Your results will be explained to you by your pharmacy team member and you will be given a copy of the report to bring to your doctor.
You may benefit from our 24 hour blood pressure monitoring service if:
- Your doctor has recommended that 24 hour blood pressure monitoring would be useful for you.
- You have previously been diagnosed with high blood pressure and you or your doctor wish to see if steps taken have brought your blood pressure under control (e.g. lifestyle changes or blood pressure medication)
- You suffer from ‘White Coat’ hypertension which means that you may get a temporary high blood pressure reading while you are at the doctor’s surgery because you are nervous or stressed.
- You or a member of your family has high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease or diabetes.
- You or a member of your family has atrial Fibrillation (irregular heat beat).
- You or your doctor want to find out if you have high blood pressure at night. High blood pressure while sleeping is considered a high risk for heart disease.